Tuesday, May 20, 2014

SEX IS FOR PLEASURE - a spoken word poem

(*NOTE*:  I know spoken word is traditionally done by audio / video only, but I wanted to release this first draft to you as soon as possible, so this is in writing only.  This is a very personal poem, and written from experiences I've had - I wrote this out of a feeling of urgency to speak to the increasing acceptance and promotion of pre-marital, immoral sexual activity that has become rampant in young men and women today.  I hope you can take something away from this.)



SEX IS FOR PLEASURE
From the writer of Unaccustomed to Simplicity

I just saw a title or an article
It was curious and grotesque
A newsflash of research
Burned harshly into the left side
Of my brain
WHAT IF WE ADMITTED TO OUR CHILDREN
THAT SEX IS ABOUT PLEASURE?
And here I am, fighting my urge… To scream
What would happen if we told our children
That our bodies are not a temple
Push a button and release the chemicals
Submit to our flesh and reap the benefits
Of self-abuse

I saw a title
And I had to fight the urge to scream
Because growing up for me
Was obscene
Being told that sex is for pleasure
Seeking men to redeem
And they to redeem me
Forgetting or not knowing that hookers get paid
All I got was laid
And pregnant at least once…
But that didn't count because
My father told me that sex is for pleasure
And daddy knows best
So I never questioned
Every man that [put] every suicidal thought in me
Every girl who said men are dirt
And still broke up with me
Every married couple
Who thought it’d be best to try something new
And everything that I’d done to myself
Like knives, scissors, my own fists and glue
Came from my father’s teaching
That sex is for pleasure

…Every dream I have about demons haunting me…
…Every time I’ve been raped by the adversary…
…Every thought that I’m not good enough
Because I started young and can’t seem to please myself
Even when I do math, or English or P90X
Nothing is good enough
Because the one thing I was good for
The one thing my father praised
Died with him in the grave…
Every time I bend to my knees
And Jesus tells me, “I made you good”
And I tell Him back, “I’m not good enough.”
And He still tells me, “You’re my princess and child.”
And I fight Him all over again
And He’s relentless and I’m a failure and He’s relentless…
And then I break



And He makes me whole for another time

And I begin to learn that sex isn't for pleasure…

It’s a promise and a dream
A land unbeknownst to me
A gift given by the King that one day a man will desire me
For my wit and experience IN LIFE and not in bed
That he will meet me and see purity
And not what my father said
That all I’m good for is to be played with
And all I can do is underneath the sheets
And that man will see me as a woman of G-d and an heir to His throne
And that man will tell me one thing…

“…And G-d Himself lay Adam on the ground
And dug so deep into his core
And pulled out his rib to make room for one more
A companion and friend
That is good for one thing
To be the daughter of the most High King;
To be my wife and best friend
And to listen and to speak
And to help me in all things
And to make herself vulnerable to me;
To hear with me the Word G-d promised
Because I myself was told
That there’s only one thing I’m good for
And that myth was sold and purchased by the blood
Redeeming my heart like a ticket that is non-refundable
Because my Father in heaven kept telling me one thing”

“You are my son and daughter, and I, your King”

Indeed sex is for pleasure, but that’s the last thing…

Unity
Peace
Struggle
Intimacy
Redeeming the flesh from impurity
Bringing you closer to me
Knowing you as no one else does
Because you’re MY LOVE

What if we admitted to our children that sex is for pleasure?

We’d have to be prepared to say a whole lot more.


(Artwork: sodahead.com and inbatmania.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment