Monday, December 23, 2013

How do you know what you worship?

Just a moment ago, I came across this blog I had begun to write. I stopped for various reasons, but now feel that I can publish it with a clear mind of the intent...  Admittedly, there are times when I write things and am not sure of the purpose or intention.  But now, after rereading this blog, I can share it with the knowledge of the purpose it serves - and it serves quite a big one!

Enjoy...

Earlier today, as I was coming home from taking my French exam, I had a curious thought enter my mind: How do we know when we are worshiping a false god?  I began by reciting the Shema...  Shema Israel, Adonai Elohaynu, Adonai Echad...

 "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.[a] Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates." - Deuteronomy 6:4-9 (NIV)
One of the most astounding passages in this scripture is that G-d himself gives us the criteria, a reference of sorts, for knowing where we need to go.  What idols remain in our hearts, and where can we go to get rid of them? ...they shall be written upon our hearts, they will tell us when to lie down, when to get up, and where to go and what to say... that is very dangerous, indeed.

  • What do you dwell upon during your alone time?
  • What is your main concern in your daily life?
  • What do you speak to others about more significantly than anything else?
  • What has become a symbol that represents your current state of being? 
For a lot of people around the world, the answers can be anything from money, work, school, to family, children, and the home.  Anything, including repentance.  Anything we place above the complete Divinity and Authority of G-d becomes an idol, and should be examined.  Lately, I have witnessed people putting fear above His Sovereignty, as well as pain and depression.  At one time, in my own life, my idol was acceptance - doing whatever I needed to do to be accepted into any given crowd.  Those days have long gone, and for that I am grateful.

So, you all hear a lot from me, but I want to hear from you.  So this is my question to you (the readers!):  What do you think an idol can be?  How do you know if something is becoming bigger than G-d in your life?

To be continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment