Thursday, December 26, 2013

Another Quite Personal Blog...

"Simeon took him in his arms and praised God, saying: 'Sovereign Lord, as you have promised, you may now dismiss your servant in peace. For my eyes have seen your salvation, which you have prepared in the sight of all nations: a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and the glory of your people Israel.'" Luke 2:28-32, NIV

One of the biggest questions I get asked is, "If you've never dug, then how do you know that Archaeology is your passion?"  An extremely reasonable question, which I often have trouble answering.  I'm not sure.  I know that my favorite thing to do when I was a child was to dig in the dirt outside my house, convinced that tree roots  were ancient artifacts, and burying change to only later dig it back up... that was before I knew what Archaeology was, and even before my parents let me watch Indiana Jones (or at least the full movie - even still some of the scenes are a little intense for kids).

Lately, I've been planning my last 4-months in my town.  After next fall, I will be moving (G-d willing) into my own house or apartment, and pursuing the rest of my Bachelor's in Classical Archaeology and French Studies; not in the least intimidating (ha)! I thought it wise to venture on a real dig before entering a top university in which most of the people in my program will be veteran dig volunteers, or offspring of professional diggers... So again, why is this field my passion?  Well, when a girl gets teary eyes because of a romantic movie, and knows that her prince will come... is it the same as reading  the following paragraph, and getting teary eyed for the same reason?:

"Excavations vary widely in their living conditions, but unless you know otherwise, it is best to anticipate the worst: a crowded tent or dormitory, cold showers, smelly outhouses, food that may range from lack-lustre to downright intimidating, and local wildlife that may include scorpions, poisonous snakes and big furry spiders." - (I Volunteered for This?! Life on an Archaeology Dig, Miller)

For me, it's not about being rough and tough.  Many people want the novelty of archaeology, and are not serious about pursuing an actual career (which is fine, we need all the interest and enthusiasm we can get!) - for me, however, my passion is to learn and do more than just a summer program.  I don't know why I fell in love with it.  I don't know why the L-rd is preparing a career in this field.  I do know that I want to travel and be an influence on the world... and so this career He is giving to me.

I can't wait for the rest of my life, and I know He will give it to me - bit by bit - in His good timing.

Blessed is the L-rd our G-d, King of the universe; for He has provided the bread from the earth, and the fruit of the vine.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment