Sunday, July 15, 2012



This week marks the beginning of the end... of this semester.  I will be posting my final essay for English class, as well as working on my final studies for Humanities.  This is a semi-momentous occasion for me, as this September I am submitting applications for my Universities of choice; my top 5 Universities are as follows (in no particular order):

1) University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
2) New York University
3) Columbia University
4) University of Pennsylvania
5) Tufts University

These facilities rank among the top 30 of Universities in the world, which goes without saying that  they are pretty difficult to get into, without the tearing of many head-hairs.

Recently I have taken to studying many of the "greatest" entrance essays; these for universities such as Harvard, Yale, Columbia, etc... There are several unique characteristics about the entrance essay, however, the one that I would like to note this evening is the first sentence.  Although it is a good and practical idea to make every sentence relevant (such as within research), it strikes me that the first few words do not necessarily have to be related to the essay; for instance, the first sentence should strike the reader as wholly interesting, unique, and somewhat flirtatious with creativity.  To grab ones attention is the main goal of the the thesis statement.

Thesis statements... this term reminds of several occasions of pain, torture, and plagiarism.  And to bring me former rant to a somewhat abrupt halt, I shall now make way for my next illustrious babble:  Peer review.

The truth is, I do see a need for peer review, as well as collaborative efforts.  There is one slight problem with both of these:  The students.  Without tooting my own horn (well okay, just a little), I am somewhat apt to the writing styles of non-fiction/academic writing.  Many, many, students however (even in Advanced Composition) are not.  Generally, it is left unto myself, and any other student with talent to do all of the work.  This includes writing requested theses, outlines, and guidelines for the majority of the student body who is without the skill to complete such menial tasks.

I do, however, appreciate what peer work has to offer; an in-depth knowledge of collaborative work... and what will inevitably happen when I enter Archaeology.  I do expect, within my own future, to endure many incidents of fellow workers taking advantage of my work.

On the other hand, I do, and I have appreciated the work of my instructor.  She is worthy of faculty of the highest institutions, and no doubt will end up as a Professor of this little college.

To conclude this notation; I am sure that many students with talent and a mind for structure endure these issues many times over.  In a sense, I am only stating what every good student wishes to say:  "NOT PEER REVIEW AGAAAAAAAIIIIINNNN!!!"

Good day.
HG

No comments:

Post a Comment