Saturday, July 28, 2012

Earlier this morning, I sat down on my bed with my laptop computer, and put my mind to my final exam in the humanities.  Though this post is not necessarily about school, examinations, or humanities in general, my story does involve school for just a few moments...

..last night I laid down in my bed - covers on - and began to run my day thoroughly through my brain (as per the usual night).  I began to almost panic at the thought of my final exam. Such discouraging thoughts ran through my head such as "What if I sleep too late?"  "What if I choke?"  Both of these have happened to me, so the worry doesn't come without proper merit.  When I realized that I wasn't going to be falling asleep to these thoughts, I closed my eyes as tight as my head could squeeze them and said, "Father, please forgive me, but I have to ask of you what you have already given me."  At that moment He said two things... He said within my soul, "Calm yourself child." When I took my eyes off of Him, and  began to fret even more than before, He said with a chuckle, "Oh you of little faith!"

It was then that I fell asleep.

The following morning I completed my final within two hours (2,000 word essay in two hours, not bad?)  Then I decided to leave for synagogue.

As I entered my synagogue, I was met by beautiful music.  Beautiful singing on top of beautiful music is a gift that only G-d can Inspire.  And when I enter His presence, tears well up in my eyes, my heart swells, and I know He is not only a G-d, but a Father who will never cease His affection, love, and caring for me (and you).

Lately I have been taking days off from my studies (on Shabbat) as I have now been striving to keep this day holy, as commanded within the Torah and the Gospels (which is a reiteration of the Torah, as spoken by Y'shua).  It is said (and this is true) that the day of the Sabbath is the one day when we are to be free of the toil of this earth.  The one day where we are to focus our minds, bodies, and spirits to the one who has given us life.  In that way, we grow closer to the L-rd, as all of those who are willing, will enter His rest.

As of late, I have been more steadfast in keeping that day holy.  In the past I would often abandon synagogue to get an extra day of studying in.  This past summer was different, as I now have different priorities.  Not to say that studying isn't important to me (it's one of the most important materials in my life), however, I have realized why G-d has commanded me to go to school.  Why He has given me a goal, and a hope for my future.  It is all for His kingdom.  Without Him, I would not - to say the least - fare well in the realm of Scholasticism.

There are also practical and scientific reasons for the observance of the Jewish Sabbath.  For instance, after 5 or 6 days of working, the mind and body not only desire, but cannot survive without one day of recuperation.  In Physiology, it is often taught that after a strenuous workout, it is essential to rest the body.  Rest is no minor factor in the rebuilding of muscle tissue.  In academics, sleep organizes thoughts within the brain and consciousness. This is why, in a secular sense, Shabbat is important.  In a non-secular sense, we also observe the Sabbath to rebuild and renew our spiritual strength.

Going back to my original thesis, when the L-rd says to His child, "Calm yourself..."  we need to take into account His Sabbath.  The day that the calm has been intended.  We as the body of Messiah are often plagued with the troubles of this world, but Y'shua is always saying, "Calm yourself..."

"Calm yourself child, for your Father is with you."

"I gave them my decrees and made known to them my laws, by which the person who obeys them will live. Also I gave them my Sabbaths as a sign between us, so they would know that I the Lord made them holy." Ezekiel 20:11-12, NIV.

No comments:

Post a Comment